Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Today's post about kombucha is brought to you by this Jesus-y hippie.

source
I just finished brewing my first successful batch of homemade kombucha (fermented probiotic tea, for the uninitiated)! Here is a good how-to from The Kitchn, if you're curious.

The best part was bottling the brew for its second fermentation, with various goodies added for flavor. My favorite combinations so far, in descending order:

~Ginger: yum, the more, the better.
~Apple spice (apple chunks, ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom): apple pie goodness.
~Ginger berry (blueberry, raspberry, cherry): good, but not as delicious as I expected for some reason.
~Orange cardamom: meh.
~Raspberry/ginger/vanilla: promising, but use less vanilla bean next time!

I still have to try the ginger-schizandra berry, but I suspect it will be very delicious. I can't wait to get my hands on some summer herbs and fruits so I can try more creative stuff: strawberry-basil, pear-rosemary, peach-lavender, etc. etc. etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment