Limiting thoughts have a way of popping up when we are trying to rise to our next level. These thoughts tells us that we can't do it, it will be too hard, or we're not enough or we're too much. Do you think your personality, appearance or background holds you back? What kinds of limitations do you harbor in your mind? Counter each limitation with a positive affirmation to reverse it.
Limiting things I tell myself, a small sample:
-"I'm fat."
-"It's too hard to lose weight."
-"I'm lazy."
-"I'll just do X tomorrow."
-"I can't afford to travel, and it's too hard to get time off."
Counterarguments:
-Weight: I should focus on health instead of vanity. I do a great job cooking healthy food from scratch, moving my body in enjoyable ways, managing stress, and generally taking care of myself. In the timeless words of South Park's Eric Cartman, "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned."
-Laziness: I'm not lazy, I'm doing something really hard (grad school) and trying my best to do it my way, at my pace, instead of the unhealthy way presented as our ideal.
-Procrastination: Balance is important. However, when X is something I have to get done but really hate/resent/don't want to do, I should probably do at least a tiny bit of it today so there's less of it left to do tomorrow.
-Travel: Carpe diem. I'm going to die someday (enter more Latin: memento mori). I'm not planning on it, but I could die tomorrow. This fact informs most of my life decisions, except the really dumb one to go to school for like a million years and rack up significant debt while doing so. ;oP At least I'm doing my best to take my time and have fun along the way, instead of putting life on hold for 5+ years.
Limiting things I tell myself, a small sample:
-"I'm fat."
-"It's too hard to lose weight."
-"I'm lazy."
-"I'll just do X tomorrow."
-"I can't afford to travel, and it's too hard to get time off."
Counterarguments:
-Weight: I should focus on health instead of vanity. I do a great job cooking healthy food from scratch, moving my body in enjoyable ways, managing stress, and generally taking care of myself. In the timeless words of South Park's Eric Cartman, "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned."
-Laziness: I'm not lazy, I'm doing something really hard (grad school) and trying my best to do it my way, at my pace, instead of the unhealthy way presented as our ideal.
-Procrastination: Balance is important. However, when X is something I have to get done but really hate/resent/don't want to do, I should probably do at least a tiny bit of it today so there's less of it left to do tomorrow.
-Travel: Carpe diem. I'm going to die someday (enter more Latin: memento mori). I'm not planning on it, but I could die tomorrow. This fact informs most of my life decisions, except the really dumb one to go to school for like a million years and rack up significant debt while doing so. ;oP At least I'm doing my best to take my time and have fun along the way, instead of putting life on hold for 5+ years.
No comments:
Post a Comment