Sunday, June 28, 2015

The things I carried.

I'm embarking on a two-week, multi-country Europe tour today(!!!). Multiple flights will be involved, including one that only allows one cabin bag period, no additional personal item. I'm a cheap mofo and want to avoid the cost and hassle of checking bags, plus I appreciate the minimalist challenge of fitting everything I need into one normal-size daypack. Inspired by people like Rick Steves and Allison Levine, here's my packing list! It may look like a lot, but everything (save the stuff in the "wearing" section, duh) clocks in at about 10lb and fits nicely into my North Face daypack with room to spare. Yes, I covered the logo with cute printed duct tape, since nothing screams "American tourist" more than North Face stuff (and running shoes).

Of course, this is not the most minimalist of minimalist packing lists, but it's a bit more streamlined than my usual small carry-on suitcase. It also bears mentioning that I'm expecting to be in climates ranging from rainy/windy 40ish F to sunny and low 80s. I will update after the trip with things I wish I'd left home, and anything I didn't bring that I wish I had.

Terrible advice.



















WEARING
choose your bulkiest/heaviest stuff, obviously
-Casual low-top sneakers
-Dark-wash skinny jeans
-Raspberry pink t-shirt
-Bra and underwear (duh)
-Aqua-colored wool pashmina (to serve as plane blanket and scarf)
-Olive green cotton military jacket
-Gold knot earrings
-Blue beaded necklace that coordinates well with all the tops I'm packing


CLOTHES
lay out in a stack or two and roll up to save tons of space
-Black t-shirt
-Black layering/sleeping camisole
-Black and white striped half-sleeve top
-Waterproof Marmot rain/wind jacket
-One pair navy/white printed soft shorts (could double as sleep shorts if needed)
-One teal/navy print midi skirt (with pockets!)
-Bike shorts for sleeping/under skirt
-2 pairs socks
-2 more pairs underwear
-1 more bra
-Gold and brown flat sandals that go with absolutely everything

TOILETRIES
tiniest sizes possible, liquids all fit in a quart Ziploc, everything else in a mesh zip bag
-Eye mask and earplugs
-Tiny baby powder to serve as both shoe powder and "dry shampoo"
-Travel-size peppermint Dr. Bronner's (for body wash and clothing detergent)
-2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner
-Folding travel brush, small comb, hair elastic, 2 hair clips, 4 bobby pins, thin elastic headband
-Travel St. Ives Green Tea face scrub
-Travel toner, cotton balls for applying
-Q-tips
-Tiny folding toothbrush
-Tiny floss and toothpaste
-Travel mouthwash
-Travel deodorant
-Tiny perfume spray (the 2-inch long ones you get as samples)
-One lipstick (chosen exclusively because it was the smallest, slimmest one I had)
-One miniature bottle with ibuprofen, melatonin, and my Rx medication all crammed in
-Tiny hand sanitizer
-Nail clippers
-Tweezers
-Quick-dry travel/camp towel

TECHNOLOGY/ENTERTAINMENT
less is more
-Multi-country outlet converter
-iPhone 6 (set up with an international plan and loaded with offline map apps), charger
-Small earbuds
-Kindle (loaded with lots of books and games), charger
-Tiny journal (3x5") and a few Sharpie pens
-A few blank greeting cards for Zentangle drawings

OTHER ESSENTIALS
some of yours may differ, of course
-Boarding passes
-Printed itinerary/any other passes and tickets doable ahead of time
-Passport and license in a very small wallet
-Small day bag/purse with a chain strap (more secure)
-Gum
-Acupressure bands and candied ginger (for nausea)
-Couple each of empty quart- and gallon-size ziplocs
-Empty water bottle
-Travel neck pillow (strapped onto bag)

And now, I'm headed off into the friendly skies! Looking forward to reporting back soon!

1 comment:

  1. Insane!!! I'd be freaking out I didn't have enough of the right clothes for the weather! Have tons of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete