Namasté, faithful readers,
We just had such a phenomenal American cook night tonight that I had to write about it. ("Cook night" = just what it sounds like - the Nepali and American students take turns cooking specialties from their homeland once a week, and the regular cook staff get the night off to sit and eat with us.) Daal-bhaat is tasty, but it doesn't offer much variety, so we're all getting pretty unenthusiastic about it at this point. It doesn't seem to bother the Nepalis one bit - every Nepali person I've met will tell you that daal-bhaat is their favorite food, even though most people eat it at both big meals of the day throughout their lives. In fact, most people won't consider it a meal unless there is rice present - our afternoon "snack" is really meal-sized, but no rice is served so it's called kaajaa (snacks) instead of kaanaa (food). Besides the daal (lentil soup) and bhaat (rice), a Nepali meal also usually includes tarkari (some sort of vegetable medley), saag (spinach/greens), and achar (spicy chutney and/or pickled veggies). To the credit of the cook staff, they try to cater to our desire for variety with spaghetti, lasagna, soup, etc. a few times a week, but the 10 a.m. meal is daal-bhaat every single day, as are at least half of the dinners.
Cook night, then, is an exciting time for the Americans to get some much-needed excitement back into our diets! Last time we made Mexican food (tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole, and burritos with bean or ground chicken filling - Nepal is a Hindu-dominated country, so no beef products are allowed here - and all the fixings: cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, olive, etc. We subbed homemade chapathis for the tortillas and they worked quite well.)
Tonight we were originally planning on making omelets, but for 20-odd people that would have been quite an undertaking. Instead we had scrambled eggs with cheese and vegetables in them (and bacon for the meat eaters), hash browns, and pancakes. Leila also made some incredible cream cheese brownies (who knew you could find cream cheese in Nepal?!) because we've all been craving chocolate lately... and Phoebe created a wonderful iTunes playlist of morning-related songs for background music while we ate.
It's so fun to cook with everyone. People are pretty good at dividing up the tasks at hand and getting them done - tonight, for example, we had people cooking hash browns in the program house kitchen, pancakes over in the girls' hostel, and scrambled eggs in the boys' hostel. We're also trying to come up with ideas for the next few cook nights - leave a comment if you have any other bright ideas for us! Other menus we're considering include:
-A Southern dinner with fried chicken/tofu, buttermilk biscuits, mashed potatoes, greens, etc.
-Picnic food: deviled eggs, potato salad, chicken salad, egg salad, rolls, salad
-Leila's gumbo and rice
-French food night: scalloped potatoes, ratatouille (vegetable stew), "beef" (goat) bourgignon or mushroom chicken
Mmm, writing about food is making me hungry all over again, so I should stop. Instead, I'll close with a tale from our Chitwan weekend, entitled "How Jessie Convinced Katherine That We All Saw a Tiger In The Woods During Our Birdwatching Walk, The One Kat Was Too Lazy To Wake Up For"...actually, the title is basically the entire tale. And unless Kat has been reading my blog, the ruse shall continue... :oP
Time to go study for my Nepali quiz tomorrow (yeah, we do work here too sometimes; I should write about classes in my next post)!
Love and pheri bhetaulaa,
Rani
P.S. Mom, it is currently 8.45 P.M. on Monday, February 19!
Hey, thanks for the time update. Now, the trick is to make the "posted at" time agree with the actual time, and you're golden!
ReplyDeleteWe tried to call you at around 7:30 p.m. (your time) today but it didn't work (second time that's happened). :o( If you can try one of those internet phones sometime, that would be gweat!
Yummy sounding feast you had, and the various other ideas for future meals sound pretty tasty, too. Do you all have to help wash the dishes, too? :oP
When you do a post on your classes, please clarify if they are held in Nepali or English (or a combination?); also, those of us with no Nepali skills would love translations of your little sign-offs (who knows what you're saying about us?!).
Love you lots, Mom-ji :o) <3
After a few days back in MD, I finally caught up on your blog, awesome and fascinating as usual. I'm glad you're feeling better and enjoying food again!
ReplyDeleteMamie was too tired tonight to read this new entry, but wondered if you are feeling better. "Well, based on her title," I said, "it sure sounds it to me!" I'll have to see if I can come up with some other feast ideas for you, although you've got quite a list! I am glad to hear you talking about food again! Love, Auntie Trish
ReplyDeleteThat food does sound pretty good to me. I'm not even sure I could find cream cheese here. Actually the one thing I really really can't find here is good salad dressing; it's all weird Japanese stuff and is kinda gross.
ReplyDeleteBoo!
Namast Auntie Claritae Renee - This is a test to see if I can post comments now.
ReplyDeleteOK, way to go! It sounds like your stomach has regained its composure and is eating away at all the goodies! Acculturation takes a while. While learning a language in a different culture it is always most amazing to realize that people think differently and see the world differently than we do. We are such products of our own culture! Anyway - it is good practice for learning to think "outside of the box". Here on Vieques I have been very busy with guests. We have also built a new cement outdoor shower which is beootiful! Karen (friend) and I decorated all the walls with shells and sea glass. Nothing like a shower under the clear stars....
ReplyDeleteI am also busy with Tito - a little puppy I found who was starving, dehydrated and covered in fleas and chicken lice...and body sores. I caught him a month ago in my beach towel and have been nursing him ever since. He would have died by the next day - only weighing 3 lbs. Now, a month later, he is a happy 12 lbs. puppy with big feet. That translates to big dog someday. Anyway he is a delight. Kiki has taken him in as his brother and allows himself to be chewed on and jumped on...and he protects him from everything.- except the bee Tito chewed last night. Sigh. Long night for me. But all goes well, as of the last few days I can leave Tito outside while I leave the house. He is in good "paws". Talk to you again now I know how to blog on. Love, C
Hi. Youre so going to cook for me next year. Bye.
ReplyDelete