Monday, February 26, 2007

Mero dosro (my second) non-halved picture party

Namasté,

These might be a tad small, but they upload faster...just click on each thumbnail to see a full-size version.


Wedding time! Here's our Nepali dad Tulsi-dai (second in command only to Banu) and Beth looking sharp...


We walked to the bride's house with the rest of the wedding party, and everyone along the way came out to watch us and hear the wedding band, even these schoolchildren. The flower-covered car is carrying the groom (who's Banu's nephew-in-law or something, I think; that's how we all got to go)


Kat and Leila heading into the bride's house.


The bride, Banu's niece, and one of the cutest kids I've ever seen, decked out in traditional Nepali menswear.


The bride and groom about to get their feet washed by various members of the family. This was an arranged marriage, so they'd only met each other a few times beforehand.


Lots of village people came by to watch, including these ladies.


Jessie, Beth, and Banu's niece in the food tent.


My special wedding mehndi (henna), courtesy of Papiya, new kurta, and matching churra (bracelets), also courtesy of Papiya.


By popular request - a better shot of my fancy kurta (with Emily and one of the pretty cakes we made for a b-day party, pictures of that to come later)! The Nepali girls informed me that wearing a form-fitting cardigan over one's kurta is in style right now, so good thing I brought one along.


Close-up of the kurta fabric.


Me in my other kurta. It's supposed to have these weird tight blue pants worn with it, but they're uncomfortable, so I wear Western pants underneath this one.


Close-up II.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the "writing" part of this blog - I'll post a proper written update soon, too.

Hope everything's great in the States!
<3 Renée

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Those dresses are amazing! I wonder if you can find a way to wear them around school. This girl here bought a male kimono for her fiance for their wedding. Pretty cool. A lot of the girls have bought kimonos, but I'm not sure where they'd wear them, y'know?

    Keep the pix comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it wasn't an appletini, but a margarita. Very girly looking, however. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- Dan beat me TWICE with comments! Thanks for the pictures, it certainly helps us to visualize more about your life over there. I like the helpful Nepali phrase "cheat sheet" hanging by the kitchen door.
    We'll look forward to your next post!

    Love, Mom-ji :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, I am amazed by the photographs of your experience in Nepal. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see pictures! In the one with your hand painted, are those Mo's flip-flops you're wearing??? Love, Auntie Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I'm especially fond of the colors of your bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you got to go to a wedding? coool. could you give me a henna tattoo when you get back?

    ReplyDelete