Sunday, April 15, 2007

A quick homestay halfway-point update

Namaste, all, and happy Nepali New Year!

I missed writing on here this week, but I've been having a blast in Sitapaila with Sangita, my homestay mom, and Aarju, her eleven-year old daughter. Even though we eat daal-bhaat twice a day, every day, I'm not totally sick of it yet (surprisingly). The lack of running water and outhouse have been surprisingly easy to adjust to - after coming over to stay in Kat, Sky, and Leila's apartment yesterday evening I thought I had died and gone to heaven, though. Running water! A shower! Other food!!!

After we got here last night, Jessie (whose homestay isn't going quite as well as mine, unfortunately) and I cooked dinner with Sky, Leila, and Kat in their apartment in Patan (a nice small city next to KTM), watched a movie, and slept over. It was great to see everybody; my family is great but sometimes you just need an evening with a few fellow Americans. Now we're hanging out in an internet cafe eating chocolate cake, yum yum. It's a very hot day out, so we're trying to find bathing suits to buy and then we might go to a nearby hotel to swim for a while. Then I have to catch a taxi for the 1/2-hour or so ride back to my homestay in time for evening daal-bhaat around 7 or 8. Tomorrow I'll do research (which is also going great; everyone I've interviewed has been so helpful and friendly) with Shanti, my translator, as usual, and then Tuesday we are taking the day off because it's Nepali mother's day and we all have to get super-dressed up and go to Sangita-didi's mother's house. Tons of people will be there; it should make for a crazy party!

I can't believe I move to the second half of my research month, the "city" part, so soon! Time is flying, and before I know it I'll be packing up my bags back in Kirtipur.

Until next week, probably, with love,
Rani

This post was shamelessly brought to you by the "copy and paste from an e-mail to Mom and Dad" method (tm).

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I thought this post sounded achingly familiar! :oP
    What a nice surprise to hear from you, and I'm so glad that your homestay and research seem to be going so well. Thanks for keeping in touch.
    Lots-o-love, Mom :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we don't mind "second-hand" news! What an unexpected surprise! I'm glad to hear everything is going so well, even if time is flying. Thanks for keeping us posted. Much love, Auntie Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure if I'd see an update, but I decided to check anyway. What a nice surprise! I'm glad your homestay is going well and I look forward to a more thorough recount of it later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya I have to go with Marissa, I definitely did not expect an update! Can't wait to see you again, but have fun and enjoy your remaining time in that far-off land!

    ReplyDelete