Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Old-Fashioned Southern Tomato Pie

Some friends and I decided we needed to have a "pie party" tonight. Assuming that most other folks would make something sweet for the occasion, I decided to give this old-fashioned Southern classic a try. I used a quick and easy no-roll pie crust recipe, pre-baked and filled with red and yellow tomatoes, red onion, and homegrown basil. Paula Deen may not be anyone's go-to for race relations anymore, but I can still use her tomato pie recipe, right?

Pre-cheese/mayo mixture (hello, it says "Southern" right in the title, so
set aside any namby-pamby concerns about your health)...

Post-cheese and -baking

It should go without saying that the mayonnaise should be Duke's (I used light; forgive my Yankitude, Southern grannies rolling in your graves). I used a mixture of mozzarella, jalapeno cheddar, and American cheeses because I didn't have straight-up cheddar on hand.

This was really, really delicious, and pie day was a success. We also had zucchini pie, pizza (pie), and cookie pie (pizookie). Then we watched "Life of Pi," obviously.

I'd like to try a sweet Southern green tomato pie next. My stars, doesn't that sound like just the thing to serve to the Junior League?!

No comments:

Post a Comment