No matter how many times you've sat with suicidal people and how competent you feel in the moment, several in one day is still draining and a bit scary, and probably always will be. It is of central importance to come home to laughing roommates, hot soup, and purring cats after a day like this.
I am approximately 3,045 times more likely to make healthy food choices if they are prepared and waiting: cut-up crudités (plain or with hummus), plain yogurt, fruit, cheese sticks, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, lunch meat, almond butter on fruit or popcorn cakes.
Every girl needs at least a few good guys to round out her friend arsenal.
Grinding coffee too finely for your French press results in weak, watery sadness.
Choral singing is one of life's great pleasures.
Jack Link's new BBQ Pork Jerky is truly magnificent, chewy and flavorful, but if you eat a whole bag in one sitting your front teeth will not thank you. Nor will your index fingers as you floss, and floss, and floss.
If I do not have somewhere I have to be every day at 9am, I am a lazy, unproductive bum. I am in the process of changing my semester schedule to accommodate this fact.
The worst mood in the world is reliably improved with a good massage. Downton Abbey and kitty snuggles also work in a pinch.
God is everywhere, in the intense and the mundane. I am usually not aware of this in the moment, but I'm trying to be more mindful of it.
I learn this every week with all the low-income/sometimes homeless folks I see in primary care, but it bears repeating: I am damn lucky to have an education, an income, my health, access to health care, a bed to sleep in, a car and money to put gas in it, food, loving relationships, friends and family members who are alive and not incarcerated, etc. etc. etc. Many of the people I meet who have few to none of these things still maintain an unshakeable faith in God; I would be wise to learn from their example.
Also, I think it's time for my first 2014 status report:
I am approximately 3,045 times more likely to make healthy food choices if they are prepared and waiting: cut-up crudités (plain or with hummus), plain yogurt, fruit, cheese sticks, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, lunch meat, almond butter on fruit or popcorn cakes.
Every girl needs at least a few good guys to round out her friend arsenal.
Grinding coffee too finely for your French press results in weak, watery sadness.
Choral singing is one of life's great pleasures.
Jack Link's new BBQ Pork Jerky is truly magnificent, chewy and flavorful, but if you eat a whole bag in one sitting your front teeth will not thank you. Nor will your index fingers as you floss, and floss, and floss.
If I do not have somewhere I have to be every day at 9am, I am a lazy, unproductive bum. I am in the process of changing my semester schedule to accommodate this fact.
The worst mood in the world is reliably improved with a good massage. Downton Abbey and kitty snuggles also work in a pinch.
God is everywhere, in the intense and the mundane. I am usually not aware of this in the moment, but I'm trying to be more mindful of it.
I learn this every week with all the low-income/sometimes homeless folks I see in primary care, but it bears repeating: I am damn lucky to have an education, an income, my health, access to health care, a bed to sleep in, a car and money to put gas in it, food, loving relationships, friends and family members who are alive and not incarcerated, etc. etc. etc. Many of the people I meet who have few to none of these things still maintain an unshakeable faith in God; I would be wise to learn from their example.
Also, I think it's time for my first 2014 status report:
Occupational
I still love my work, but I'm trying to craft my schedule mindfully this semester to prevent procrastination (e.g., scheduling myself for a few hours' work every morning at 9 to get my butt out of bed and on campus, planning to go to certain gym classes BEFORE going home because I'll never go out again once I'm back). Also, I'm taking my LAST CLASS EVER(!!!) this semester! I'm so ready to be done with tests and papers.
Financial
Doing a pretty good job sticking to ye ole budget. As usual, my only extraneous purchases really are unnecessarily nice food and the occasional clearance item at Target. Loans are already in for the semester (whut?!). I think I will probably keep the full amount in my savings to use judiciously over this semester, the summer, and possibly into the fall. I feel better having a little safety cushion, and I can always take out less/none next fall if I've overestimated.
Physical
Slug doesn't even begin to describe it. I did a better job being active in the negative-degree weather while I was at my parents' for the holidays than I have been doing here, where it's 50 out. Back on the wagon today! There's no excuse for skimping on movement - it helps with weight loss, mood improvement, and overall health/well-being.
Mental
I haven't been doing much in the way of reading/mentally stimulating conversation lately, but that's fine - the new semester will take care of that forthwith. As far as mental health goes, I have been weaning myself off my mood medication for the past month or so. I can definitely tell a difference - it becomes especially important for me to get adequate sleep and rest, good nutrition (especially healthy fats), exercise, and be around people. You know, all those things I tell other people to do all day at school/work but don't do enough of myself. :oP
Social
Pretty good this week! Dinner, fellowship, and choir at TBC Wednesday, lots of Game of Thrones viewing with my friends J and R, making soup and reading about the horrors of sugar-free gummy bears with my roommates, a massive 10-person outing for sushi happy hour last night, and plans to go see Anchorman 2 tonight. Also, a possible last-minute ski trip on Monday?
Environmental
Uh, I'm doing laundry right now? I've been feeling an urge to clean and purge (nice rhyme, no?) and am about to make up a list of spring cleaning tasks to carry out over the next few weeks.
Service/Acts of Kindness
I haven't been as intentional about this lately as I'd like. I mean, I've still done nice things for people, but I want to get back to a more sustained awareness of it.
Developing talents
If Downton-watching and eating chocolate/jerky were talents, I'd be all over this one. Sadly, they are not. I've been singing some, and writing some, but other than that I can't say I've spent my free time as usefully as I'd like. Time for a crafting date with my buddy J.
I still love my work, but I'm trying to craft my schedule mindfully this semester to prevent procrastination (e.g., scheduling myself for a few hours' work every morning at 9 to get my butt out of bed and on campus, planning to go to certain gym classes BEFORE going home because I'll never go out again once I'm back). Also, I'm taking my LAST CLASS EVER(!!!) this semester! I'm so ready to be done with tests and papers.
Financial
Doing a pretty good job sticking to ye ole budget. As usual, my only extraneous purchases really are unnecessarily nice food and the occasional clearance item at Target. Loans are already in for the semester (whut?!). I think I will probably keep the full amount in my savings to use judiciously over this semester, the summer, and possibly into the fall. I feel better having a little safety cushion, and I can always take out less/none next fall if I've overestimated.
Physical
Slug doesn't even begin to describe it. I did a better job being active in the negative-degree weather while I was at my parents' for the holidays than I have been doing here, where it's 50 out. Back on the wagon today! There's no excuse for skimping on movement - it helps with weight loss, mood improvement, and overall health/well-being.
Mental
I haven't been doing much in the way of reading/mentally stimulating conversation lately, but that's fine - the new semester will take care of that forthwith. As far as mental health goes, I have been weaning myself off my mood medication for the past month or so. I can definitely tell a difference - it becomes especially important for me to get adequate sleep and rest, good nutrition (especially healthy fats), exercise, and be around people. You know, all those things I tell other people to do all day at school/work but don't do enough of myself. :oP
Social
Pretty good this week! Dinner, fellowship, and choir at TBC Wednesday, lots of Game of Thrones viewing with my friends J and R, making soup and reading about the horrors of sugar-free gummy bears with my roommates, a massive 10-person outing for sushi happy hour last night, and plans to go see Anchorman 2 tonight. Also, a possible last-minute ski trip on Monday?
Environmental
Uh, I'm doing laundry right now? I've been feeling an urge to clean and purge (nice rhyme, no?) and am about to make up a list of spring cleaning tasks to carry out over the next few weeks.
Service/Acts of Kindness
I haven't been as intentional about this lately as I'd like. I mean, I've still done nice things for people, but I want to get back to a more sustained awareness of it.
Developing talents
If Downton-watching and eating chocolate/jerky were talents, I'd be all over this one. Sadly, they are not. I've been singing some, and writing some, but other than that I can't say I've spent my free time as usefully as I'd like. Time for a crafting date with my buddy J.
Well, there you go. A thoroughly lackluster start to the New Year! Speaking of which, just so I have them written down somewhere, my New Year's resolutions:
1. Complete/defend thesis and graduate with M.S. by the end of summer semester (August)
2. Get prelims over with this fall so as to become an official doctoral candidate
3. Travel out of the country (it's been 6 years!)
4. Continue working on nutrition and exercise, with the goal of returning to my pre-grad school weight
You can do it! Yeah!! <3
ReplyDelete(thanks for the post)