As a Yankee transplant of almost three years, I'm focusing today's post on (surprise) Southern stuff I enjoy. I anticipate a few follow-up posts to this one on Namaste Renée, because there are many things I like about life down here.
1.
Duke's mayonnaise (made right here in town)! This stuff is the bee's knees. When I first moved here I thought people were weird and culty for obsessing over their Duke's, but now...well, let's just say I've drunk the sweet, sweet Kool-Aid. No sugar or unnecessary added crap, just salty, mayonnaisey goodness. Essential for potato salad and that quintessential Southern summer favorite, the tomato sandwich.
 |
It really entertains me that someone took the time to
photograph a jar of Duke's in front of a white sheet,
like a bad high-school prom picture. |
2.
"Visiting." Chatting with cashiers, bus seatmates, or random strangers on the street isn't weird here like it would be at home in New England. People behind you in line at the grocery store aren't annoyed by the cashier's small talk; it's an accepted and integral part of life here. I find myself missing Southern friendliness every time I leave the region now.
 |
| The delightful truth. |
3.
Slow walking. While I mostly adopted this one because it's simply too hot to speedwalk, I've come to appreciate not being in such a dang rush all the time. My Northern friends are very annoyed by it when I go home to visit. :o)
 |
| Almost...there... |
4.
Fried chicken. Hot or cold. Mmm. Need I say more?
 |
| 'MURRICA! |
5.
Butter on vegetables. Also, meat with vegetables. I still love crisp, barely cooked veggies too, but I've come to appreciate the melt-in-your mouth quality of green beans cooked for hours with a chunk of smoked meat.
 |
| Hom nom nom nom. |
6.
Y'all. It's gender neutral, rolls easily off the tongue, and just plain makes sense. I especially like the plural (all y'all) and plural possessive (all y'all's) -- both much more elegant than stilted alternatives such as "all of you" or "all you guys" or "all of you guys's"...
 |
| Hee hee! |
7.
Cookout. Errmagerd. Far from gourmet, but cheap, delicious, and open late late late. Ridiculous milkshakes. I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you suddenly want chili cheese fries at 3am and don't want to spend more than a few bucks, Cookout is the answer.
 |
A strawberry cheesecake shake for me, please. Or wait,
mint Oreo? Peach cobbler? Don't make me choose. |
Y'all come back now for
volume 2, y'hear?
No comments:
Post a Comment