Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Southern stuff I like, vol. 2

As a Yankee transplant to the South of over three years, I don't feel like an anthropologist in the field quite as often now, but I still notice plenty of differences between life here and in New England. Here's another installment of stuff I love about the Southeastern U.S. (see vol. 1 here):

1. Pimento cheese: the caviar of the South! And yes, I've spelled it properly here - the little Spanish red peppers are pimientos, but the proper regional spelling for this dish is pimento cheese. Couldn't tell you why. Anyway, there are about as many recipe variations as there are catfights in the Junior League: mayonnaise-heavy, grated cheese, mashed cheese, the inclusion of other cheeses in addition to sharp orange cheddar...you get the picture. My personal favorite is my boss's recipe, from her granddaddy in Southwest Virginia. A close second is the Flying Biscuit Café of Atlanta's version, which includes tomato, feta, and basil.

Source

2. Gourmet peanuts (especially VA peanuts): growing up, I always felt sort of "take 'em or leave 'em" about peanuts. The first time I tasted a high-quality Virginia peanut, I realized I'd been missing out. And when I discovered a local source of Cajun-spiced shell-on peanuts, it was game over.

Source

3. Southern crops: I really, really love driving around in the boonies and seeing exotic (to my Northern New England-reared self) warm-weather crops growing, like peanuts, tobacco, and cotton. In South Central Virginia right now it seems to be just about cotton harvest time, so I see a lot of this in my travels (and lots of puffy cotton "snow" blowing across the road):

Source

4. Low country boil: the delectable Southern version of a clambake, with shrimp (or crawfish), corn, potatoes, onions, and sausage. Easy, relatively healthy, and absolutely delicious. The "source" link below this photo will lead you to a recipe.

Source

5. Subs from Publix: the closest Publix grocery store is about 2.5 hours away from me. I have two Floridian friends who won't shut up about Publix subs, so I decided to make it a point to try one earlier this summer when I was down in Atlanta, low expectations notwithstanding. Well, butter mah butt and call me a biscuit (see #6), it was about the best damn sandwich I've ever had. From a random, not terribly inspiring grocery store. Buzzfeed has a whole post extolling the virtues of these glorious hoagies from heaven here.

Aww yeah. Source

6. "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!" and other Southern-isms: Fine as frog's hair split four ways. Hotter'n a billy goat's ass in a pepper patch. I'll jerk a knot in your tail. The Southern penchant for hyperbole makes for some awfully fun and colorful expressions.

Source

7. Not owning a shovel: 'nuff said. It almost makes up for enduring neverending summers in the hottest, swampiest circle of the backwaters of hell.

Source

Yes, an awful lot of these are food, I know. Until next time! Y'all hurry back real soon for vol. 3!

1 comment: