Friday, October 17, 2014

6. Don't fix me, love me

Name something about your appearance or personality that used to make you feel insecure or inadequate but now you have grown to love it. Why are you now grateful for it? What changed your perspective?

1. Appearance: I used to really, really hate being tall. I felt like I stuck out in an awkward way, towering over everyone, and was loath to wear heels. Now I've made peace with it, and actually enjoy my height most of the time. This awesome feminist fairy tale, recommended to me at just the right time by a very wise therapist, pretty much did it.

2. Personality: After too many years of trying very, very hard to be "normal" (whatever that is), I've given up. I realized two things. First, nobody else cares, because they are all too focused on their own self-consciousness. Also, there is only one of me with my particular brand of weirdness, so I kind of feel like I owe it to the world to let some of the idiosyncrasies come out from hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment