Make a list of what you are grateful for, focusing specifically on things that you normally take for granted. We tend to place a higher value on what we don't have than what we do have.
-electricity
-clean water
-safe, affordable housing
-friendly neighbors
-Internet and a smartphone
-money to buy healthy groceries and put gas in my car
-money for affordable (thanks, Obamacare) health insurance
-college and graduate educational opportunities
-tuition remission for school
-a safe, happy childhood
-unconditional love and snuggles from my kitties
-unconditional love from family and friends
-a safe, welcoming, healthy church community
-a generally strong, healthy body
-a quick mind that can learn well
-the ability to help others (financially, emotionally, via my time and talents, etc.)
-the tough times I've gone through; I learned from them all and they made me ME
-kindness and positive regard from others
-being taken seriously
-grace
I could go on, but I'll stop here. I was struck while making this list that most of these things are very much related to my privilege as a white, middle-class person. Just wanted to note that here.
-clean water
-safe, affordable housing
-friendly neighbors
-Internet and a smartphone
-money to buy healthy groceries and put gas in my car
-money for affordable (thanks, Obamacare) health insurance
-college and graduate educational opportunities
-tuition remission for school
-a safe, happy childhood
-unconditional love and snuggles from my kitties
-unconditional love from family and friends
-a safe, welcoming, healthy church community
-a generally strong, healthy body
-a quick mind that can learn well
-the ability to help others (financially, emotionally, via my time and talents, etc.)
-the tough times I've gone through; I learned from them all and they made me ME
-kindness and positive regard from others
-being taken seriously
-grace
I could go on, but I'll stop here. I was struck while making this list that most of these things are very much related to my privilege as a white, middle-class person. Just wanted to note that here.
No comments:
Post a Comment