I finally (almost) did it! Boyfriend and I have been obsessively trying to recreate the delicious roast potatoes at our favorite Greek restaurant in town. They're soft and tangy and full of delicious flavor all the way through, terribly "moreish" to steal an expression from across the pond. Our server remained impressively tight-lipped when we tried to get the secret of the delicious potatoes out of her, but we did at least manage to figure out that they were roasted, had a lot of olive oil and some sort of tomato product with them, and contained "Greek seasoning."
Attempt #1 (from my Mamie's old Greek cookbook), while tasty, was a no-go. This version was much, much closer to the good stuff. I reduced the olive oil and used a small can of tomato paste in lieu of the crushed tomatoes. I also added some homemade Greek seasoning as well as (lesser amounts of) the oregano and thyme called for in the recipe. Next time, even though it's apparently not authentic to combine tomato and lemon in the same vegetable dish, we may try adding some lemon juice to try and replicate the delicious sour tang of the restaurant original.
Below is the tasty result of our experiment, which we enjoyed with farm-fresh scrambled eggs and salad for dinner one night.
Attempt #1 (from my Mamie's old Greek cookbook), while tasty, was a no-go. This version was much, much closer to the good stuff. I reduced the olive oil and used a small can of tomato paste in lieu of the crushed tomatoes. I also added some homemade Greek seasoning as well as (lesser amounts of) the oregano and thyme called for in the recipe. Next time, even though it's apparently not authentic to combine tomato and lemon in the same vegetable dish, we may try adding some lemon juice to try and replicate the delicious sour tang of the restaurant original.
Below is the tasty result of our experiment, which we enjoyed with farm-fresh scrambled eggs and salad for dinner one night.
Mmmm... you made me very hungry. Looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteThey are! Maybe L and I can make them for you when we come visit.
Delete