Monday, August 24, 2015

THE BEST barbecue chicken & experimenting with grilled coleslaw.

Behold: our super awesome dinner from last night

























Shenandoah Valley Barbecue Chicken
Shoutout to my awesome boss for sharing this one with me a while ago. Her hometown puts on a big fundraiser barbecue with this every year, and her family managed to get a copy of the top-secret recipe when they moved away. It is by far the most delicious grilled chicken I've ever had.

1/2 pint (1 cup) vegetable oil
1 pint (2 cups) cider vinegar
3 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 Tbsp garlic salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp Accent

Mix all ingredients.  Reserve 1/2 cup marinade for basting. Marinate 10 bone-in chicken breast halves  (I prefer thighs and drumsticks, which also turn out great) in refrigerator overnight. Grill until thoroughly cooked, basting occasionally.

Grilled Asian Coleslaw
I invented this tonight to go along with the chicken and my brother and I both thought it was great!

Cabbage wedges (I used 2 small wedges of Savoy cabbage for 4 servings)
Cooking spray
Mayo (preferably Duke's...man, I'm so Southern now)
Sesame oil
Rice vinegar
Salt
Sesame seeds
Korean hot red pepper flakes, if you like

Spray cabbage wedges with cooking spray. Grill on hot grill until just charred on the cut edge. Shred. Mix with remaining ingredients to taste. This was delicious at room temp but would also be tasty chilled, I'm sure. Next time I'll add some shredded carrot and scallion. Two other variations I'll be trying in the future: adding in a little chopped kimchi, or some ground Szechuan pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment