Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pad Thai for everyone! Low-carb, veg, gluten-free.

























Mmm, pad Thai! I Googled around for a basic recipe and loosely (as always, ha) followed it, replacing the traditional flat rice noodles with a combo of kelp noodles and spiralized zucchini. Shirataki noodles would probably work well too.

Beware pre-made pad Thai sauces if you're watching carbs; they're loaded with sugar. Best to whip up your own with stevia or another alternative sweetener. If you have trouble finding tamarind, you can sub a bit of ketchup, lemon/lime juice, and Worcestershire (not vegetarian) like I did.

I added some julienned carrot and red pepper for color, and used cubed tofu for the protein. Thinly sliced beef, chicken, or pork would work too, of course. Omit the egg and sub fish sauce with soy sauce for a vegan version (though not GF, most soy sauce has wheat).

Enjoy! Don't be lazy and neglect to put crushed peanuts on top like me, I think their crunch really completes the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment