Paying attention to hydration should always be a priority, though there is some evidence to suggest it's especially important on a low-carb diet. I have always loved to drink lots of water, but even I get bored with the plain stuff on occasion. Here are my go-tos for variety:
STILL WATER:
1. I have this infuser bottle from Blogilates (well, mine says "Dream Believe Achieve" but I guess that design is sold out). I love it and bring it with me everywhere. It's fun coming up with new infused water "recipes" from simple (sliced lemon) to fancy (today's concoction of sliced lemon and lime, halved fresh cranberries, and a chunk of fresh ginger root). Cucumber is really good too.
2. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners, Crystal Light-type drinks can hit the spot. I try to avoid these, but they are available to you if you're cool with processed stuff.
3. Tea! Hot, iced, green, black, herbal...experiment and find your favorite flavors. We always have a pitcher of green or black unsweetened iced tea in the fridge during the summer. Family members and guests can then doctor to taste with lemon, natural sweetener, herbs such as mint, etc.
4. Good Girl Moonshine! It might sound a little weird but it's so refreshing. Sometimes I add a spoonful of chia seeds, stir well, and let sit about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
5. This Chia Fresca recipe is another favorite (skip the maple syrup and sub stevia if you're limiting carbs).
BUBBLES:
1. Diet soda is a sugar-free option, of course, but it's absolutely miserable for you. It can wreak havoc with your insulin response and increase belly fat storage, for starters. I used to be an absolute Diet Dr. Pepper whore in my early grad school days, but no longer keep it in the house and will indulge in one perhaps 3-4 times a year.
2. Sparkling water! I buy cans to keep in the fridge at work and enjoy one as a treat almost every afternoon in hot weather. My current favorite is the mango flavor from La Croix, closely followed by Kroger's raspberry one.
3. Homemade kombucha has sugar in it, yes, but if you let it ferment until it's on the tarter side almost all of the sugar will have been eaten up by friendly yeasts and bacteria. Hooray for probiotic goodness! I like to do a second fermentation in glass bottles or jars so it ends up fizzy. Favorite flavors lately: strawberry, ginger, hibiscus/goji berry, apple/cinnamon/cardamom/ginger. It only takes a Tb or so of flavoring goodies per jar, and again most of the sugars get eaten up if you let it ferment long enough.
Bottoms up!
STILL WATER:
1. I have this infuser bottle from Blogilates (well, mine says "Dream Believe Achieve" but I guess that design is sold out). I love it and bring it with me everywhere. It's fun coming up with new infused water "recipes" from simple (sliced lemon) to fancy (today's concoction of sliced lemon and lime, halved fresh cranberries, and a chunk of fresh ginger root). Cucumber is really good too.
2. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners, Crystal Light-type drinks can hit the spot. I try to avoid these, but they are available to you if you're cool with processed stuff.
3. Tea! Hot, iced, green, black, herbal...experiment and find your favorite flavors. We always have a pitcher of green or black unsweetened iced tea in the fridge during the summer. Family members and guests can then doctor to taste with lemon, natural sweetener, herbs such as mint, etc.
4. Good Girl Moonshine! It might sound a little weird but it's so refreshing. Sometimes I add a spoonful of chia seeds, stir well, and let sit about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
5. This Chia Fresca recipe is another favorite (skip the maple syrup and sub stevia if you're limiting carbs).
BUBBLES:
1. Diet soda is a sugar-free option, of course, but it's absolutely miserable for you. It can wreak havoc with your insulin response and increase belly fat storage, for starters. I used to be an absolute Diet Dr. Pepper whore in my early grad school days, but no longer keep it in the house and will indulge in one perhaps 3-4 times a year.
2. Sparkling water! I buy cans to keep in the fridge at work and enjoy one as a treat almost every afternoon in hot weather. My current favorite is the mango flavor from La Croix, closely followed by Kroger's raspberry one.
3. Homemade kombucha has sugar in it, yes, but if you let it ferment until it's on the tarter side almost all of the sugar will have been eaten up by friendly yeasts and bacteria. Hooray for probiotic goodness! I like to do a second fermentation in glass bottles or jars so it ends up fizzy. Favorite flavors lately: strawberry, ginger, hibiscus/goji berry, apple/cinnamon/cardamom/ginger. It only takes a Tb or so of flavoring goodies per jar, and again most of the sugars get eaten up if you let it ferment long enough.
Bottoms up!
you make your own kombucha?!?!?! Please come visit soon so you can teach me these things!!!!
ReplyDeleteI can bring you a kombucha baby too!
DeleteSome of us happen to like boring water.
ReplyDeleteLong live boring water!!
:oP