Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Spaghetti squash carbonara.

Geez, it seems all I post about is food lately. Maybe I should change this blog's name to NOMaste Renée. Teehee! Anyway, this spaghetti squash carbonara turned out even better than I thought it would. I absolutely adored it, and even my squash-hatin' brother said he liked it. Success! I looked at a few different carbonara recipes online and adapted them to my taste/what I had in my fridge (including using some of the parsley and volunteer baby leeks I found in my garden today!). I served the resulting deliciousness with my Indian-spiced salmon and a side salad of romaine, olives, sliced radish, and cubed avocado for a big and wonderful low-carb, high-fat lunch. I am absolutely loving this way of eating; I find I have steadier energy (no more afternoon hangries), the food is delicious and satisfying, and I'm down 5 pounds so far. Huzzah!

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
Serves 2-4

Ingredients:
Flesh of a small cooked spaghetti squash (~4c)
4 strips uncured bacon
2Tb sliced baby leek (sub green or regular onion)
Salt, pepper, chili flakes
3 Tb "nooch" (nutritional yeast)
2 pastured eggs
Few Tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
Parmigiano Reggiano (optional)

Fry the bacon and set aside, reserving fat. Sauté your leeks in the fat for a few minutes until soft, then add spaghetti squash to heat through and cook out excess water. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the nutritional yeast. Spread the hot spaghetti squash out in an even layer in your pan, and have two utensils ready (I used a flat bamboo paddle and a regular old fork). Quickly and evenly pour the egg/nooch over your squash and begin tossing well with your utensils while the egg cooks. It won't coat the squash quite as nicely as it would a wheat-based pasta, but it will still be seriously delicious. Serve topped with parsley and parmesan to taste, and enjoy in good health!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, minus the chili flakes... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of you whenever I add pepper/chili to a recipe! :oP

      Delete
  2. I'm printing this out and saying "Milton- make this!!!!!" LOL!!!! So excited to try it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete