Sorry, no photos, we ate it too fast. :o) This was SO GOOD. I increased everything by half for my 4.5-ish-pound chicken and it was plenty of marinade. The recipe is from Food.com's Indian section, with very minor changes by me.
*Returning a few days later to add: Brother, boyfriend and I all agreed that this is super delicious, but that next time we want to try marinating the chicken in pieces and doing it on the grill so it's even more tandoori-like. Also, I shredded the leftovers for an Indian-ish chicken salad and it was DELICIOUS (and fabulous on a cumin-scented low-carb tortilla, of which I have a stash in the freezer).
"Usually, the Tandoori chicken is made with cut up chicken. The original recipe stems from Mumtaz Khan at Mumtaz Paan House in Bradford, England, but has been modified to suit whole chicken. The marinade is quite hot and the amount of chilli can be modified."
Ingredients
*Returning a few days later to add: Brother, boyfriend and I all agreed that this is super delicious, but that next time we want to try marinating the chicken in pieces and doing it on the grill so it's even more tandoori-like. Also, I shredded the leftovers for an Indian-ish chicken salad and it was DELICIOUS (and fabulous on a cumin-scented low-carb tortilla, of which I have a stash in the freezer).
"Usually, the Tandoori chicken is made with cut up chicken. The original recipe stems from Mumtaz Khan at Mumtaz Paan House in Bradford, England, but has been modified to suit whole chicken. The marinade is quite hot and the amount of chilli can be modified."
Ingredients
- 1 chicken
- 1 cup cooking yoghurt (8% fat) or 1 cup drained standard yoghurt
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I did 1/2 tsp, would increase to 1 next time)
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek or 2 teaspoons chili paste (I used sriracha)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5-6 cloves garlic, grated on microplane
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- red food coloring, optional
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions
- Mix spices and lemon juice.
- Add yoghurt.
- Color with coloring to make an intense red/purple color (optional).
- Add oil.
- Make deep incisions all over the thighs and breasts.
- Put the chicken together with the marinade in a tight plastic bag (or large bowl with cover, which I used) and massage the marinade with your hands into the incisions.
- Keep refrigerated for at least 4 but preferably 12-24 hours, turning the bag now and then. Roast until done (you want the outside a very deep brown).
No comments:
Post a Comment