What does the word mean to you? What makes it so hard for you to be yourself, to be seen, to be open and express yourself your way?
To me, authenticity is synonymous with genuineness. In other words, behaviors in line with my values are authentic behaviors. I do think people can get too concerned about "authenticity" in every moment to the point that it's paralyzing, but for most increased authenticity is a healthy and worthwhile goal.
I don't like the leading nature of the second question. It's NOT usually "so hard" for me to be myself, be seen, be open, and express myself my way. Was it, once? Yes, but the older I get the more comfortable I feel in my skin, and the less I care what big bad Others think. Does being true to myself set me swimming against the tide of mainstream culture? Yes, at times, but the more I practice it the more natural it becomes.
To me, authenticity is synonymous with genuineness. In other words, behaviors in line with my values are authentic behaviors. I do think people can get too concerned about "authenticity" in every moment to the point that it's paralyzing, but for most increased authenticity is a healthy and worthwhile goal.
I don't like the leading nature of the second question. It's NOT usually "so hard" for me to be myself, be seen, be open, and express myself my way. Was it, once? Yes, but the older I get the more comfortable I feel in my skin, and the less I care what big bad Others think. Does being true to myself set me swimming against the tide of mainstream culture? Yes, at times, but the more I practice it the more natural it becomes.
No comments:
Post a Comment