Tuesday, March 10, 2015

27. Lurking.

What is the elephant in the room of your mind?  What issue, big or small, are you avoiding because you feel you don't have the time or energy to deal with it?  Even if you don't take action on it right now, writing about it will keep you self-aware.  When we ignore parts of ourselves, those parts act out in our lives in subtle ways.

Weight. Weight weight weight. I don't regret gaining 50+ pounds over the past 4 years since starting grad school, actually, because it's taught me some important lessons. Like I already said in an earlier 30 Layers, 30 Days post, I've learned that I'm still just as worthwhile, and the people who matter love me just the same. By societal standards I've never looked "worse," yet paradoxically my self-esteem has never been better.

However, I've been reading a lot about ancestral health and blood sugar and A1C and metabolic syndrome and all sorts of other nutrition-geek stuff lately, in my abundant free time (snort). I'm curious how a lower-glycemic, lower-carb, higher-fat approach would affect my health. Or any approach, really, other than the foodie free-for-all I practice currently. So, my modest goal for the coming days and weeks is to begin noticing what I eat and perhaps even to write it down, noting related changes in mood and how my body feels. Then, maybe, I will give this low-carb, or even ketogenic, stuff the old college try. The trick for me is not to become so dogmatic, so all-or-nothing, that I fail to notice and practice what works FOR ME. Diet has become yet another idol in our lives, if you ask me, another thing we can (pretend to) control. Ha.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I love you and you know it, and I hope you will live a long, healthy, happy, satisfying life regardless of what the scale says. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete