I have encountered some folks in my travels (friends, relatives, patients, what have you) who believe that racism is no longer a problem in this country. Spoiler alert: they are not typically people of color. A few of these enlightened white individuals have gone so far as to bemoan their new "minority status" to me, while I attempt to retrieve the dislocated remains of my jaw from the floor.
I respectfully submit for their consideration the Yelp review I just stumbled across and flagged as inappropriate, which described a local pool hall as a "n*gger-infested sh*thole." I have double-checked my calendar, but no, I did not suddenly stumble into a time-traveling device set for nineteen fifty-two. Sadly, it is still very much the year twenty frigging fifteen.
I respectfully submit for their consideration the Yelp review I just stumbled across and flagged as inappropriate, which described a local pool hall as a "n*gger-infested sh*thole." I have double-checked my calendar, but no, I did not suddenly stumble into a time-traveling device set for nineteen fifty-two. Sadly, it is still very much the year twenty frigging fifteen.
No comments:
Post a Comment