Saturday, March 21, 2015

My social media fast.

This past Sunday I decided to take the week off from social media, which for me means only Facebook and Instagram. I'm not really a Twitter girl, nor does Pinterest have the same allure for me as when it first came out. I don't even know what else the kids are using these days, and I don't care to, because Facebook and Insta are enough of a time suck!

To remember my "fast" and stay accountable, I moved my Facebook and Instagram apps off the home screen of my phone. I also logged out of Facebook on my computer to avoid mindless checking, though that wasn't really a problem for me.

So what happened? I adjusted quickly and didn't miss either platform at all. I was incredibly productive at work, had more time to wind down and read before bed, and found other ways to pass time when needed (daydreaming, talking to other people, waiting patiently) instead of automatically opening up a social media app.

In light of these results, I'm deleting my Facebook app from my phone and leaving Facebook logged out on my computer to encourage me to only check it once or twice a day, max. Instagram will remain on my phone but off the home screen, and I'm spring-cleaning my follow list of accounts that post a million times a day, which always made me feel "behind" and like I had to do a lot of back-reading to "catch up."

Next bad habit to tackle: my periodic bouts of excessive online time-wasting. Watch out, mindless Internetting, I'm coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment