Friday, March 20, 2015

Sunshine in a mug.

I've been reading about the potential health benefits of low-carb eating styles and intermittent fasting lately and decided to give it a try this week, replacing my morning meal with a fat-only blended beverage. Yes, it sounds a little gross at first, but quality fat is awesome for you and the drink is blended for a nice creamy texture. The theory is, because blood sugar does not spike with fat consumption, one benefits from both the continued "fast" and the nourishing, satiating fats. I've also tried to focus on healthy fats, moderate protein, and quality whole-food carb options (in lesser amounts) for the rest of the day, and have noticed that my energy is more steady. I'm naturally eating adequate calories, not too much or too little, and have never felt hungry or deprived, which is huge for me. I appear to have dropped a pound or two also - yeah!

I have used coffee for each day of this experiment so far, but was all out this morning and creative kitchen witchery ensued. I love the end result better than the coffee! The aptly named milk oolong tea already has a delicate, creamy flavor that pairs deliciously with the added fats in this recipe.

Boil 2 cups of water.
Add 2 milk oolong tea bags and steep for three and a half minutes.
Remove tea bags.
Add 1 Tb each grass-fed butter (yes, really, it's good for you) and virgin coconut oil, a few shakes of turmeric, a pinch of sea salt, and stevia to taste.
Blend with an immersion blender or milk frother until emulsified and creamy.
Admire the beautiful, sunny yellow color, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment