Monday, May 9, 2011

Healthy Chicken Tenders? Oh Yes!

Baked chicken tenders, served with my super-secret house dipping sauce (honey mustard + sriracha chili sauce) and
a salad of baby spinach, tomato, orange pepper, blanched broccoli, black sesame seeds, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.
One of the main reasons I subscribe to Oxygen magazine is the healthy cooking inspiration I get each month. These lean chicken tenders from the May issue have a crust made from pulverized oats and almonds; the original recipe didn't call for much in the way of seasoning (just Italian spice mix) but I sure took care of that. :oP

Lean, Mean Chicken Tenders of Epic Deliciousness
Adapted from Oxygen Magazine

Ingredients for two servings:

  • Two skinless chicken breasts (I used one giant chicken cutlet that clocked in at 0.8 lb), sliced into strips (I did eight, four for tonight and four for lunch tomorrow!)
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup almonds (recipe called for slivered but I just used whole raw ones 'cause that's what I had!)
  • 1 Tb. Italian seasoning
  • 1 packet Goya Sazon with cumin and cilantro
  • A generous shaky-shake each of cumin, black pepper, allspice, and cayenne pepper
  • One egg (recipe called for egg white but I was too lazy for all that separatin' tonight...maybe some other time)
  • Cooking spray
What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
  • Pulverize oats, almonds, and seasonings of choice in blender
  • Beat egg and add to a Ziploc bag (or just crack the egg into the bag and smoosh it around like I did) with chicken strips, shaky shake that thang
  • Add your pulverized oat-almond-spice mix and shaky shake again
  • Lay coated strips out on baking sheet and pop in the oven for 20 minutes
Hallelujiah! You're done. That wasn't so bad, was it? If you're me, your next step after dinner will likely involve a Skinny Cow chocolate mint ice cream sandwich... ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment